Thursday, April 21, 2005

Please, just take the urine.

Had an exciting time today trying to drop off a urine sample to the lab. Well, not just any sample, but a gallon of urine. To begin my story, my wife after having seen the doctor on Monday, was put on bed rest for the rest of the pregnancy. She was also to submit a 24 hour urine sample. Needless to say with all the fluids she's been drinking and little Tony kicking her bladder, she goes a lot. I was expecting a little cup, and went whoa when she presented me with the gallon. She informed me that you have to save it everytime you go in a 24 hour period and then keep it on ice.
Well to move this tale along;We were on our way to the doctors and decided we should drop off the sample to the lab first, which is about 5 miles up the road from her doctors office. I will run the sample up to the lab seeing she is supposed to be on bedrest and really shouldn't overdo it in any way. Steph tells me the lab is on the 4'th floor. I got to the floor, carrying the gallon, and there is no lab. I ask, and it is on the 2'nd floor. I wait for the elevator-too slow--so I take the stairs. Get to the "lab", and it is a big room with a whole bunch of people waiting in line to see the receptionist. I think "this can't be it!". I ask and it is. wait in line. I stand behind about 4 people and wait to go up the glass window. Everyone's presenting insurance cards and filling out papers. I'm standing there looking at my watch and holding a gallon of urine.
I finally make it to the window. Hand her the paperwork and am about to hand over the increasingly heavy gallon. She says steph has to sign a consent form. I tell her that she is on level 4 and is not supposed to exert herself. She says I can run it out to her and have her sign it. What??? It's a urine sample for protein, not a DNA test. She then says that I can have a seat, there are 3 people ahead of me. What????
I'm getting hot at this point and keep telling her that this is making no sense. I look at my watch and in 6 minutes we are going to be late. Steph hates to be late. I storm out of there, holding the gallon I thought I could just drop off, and head for the stairs. One problem I can't find them(and I'm certainly not going to ask those bozos at the "lab").
This 2'nd floor is like a huge labyrinth, that leads to the same waiting area. I get frustrated and open a door that this no markings on it and hope that this is the exit. I walked in on a person getting a pretty intense exam. I closed the door quickly with a quick "sorry". How embarrassing for them and me.
I finally make it out. We get to the appointment fashionably late, tell them my story. They call over and then tell me that all I have to do is go back and drop it off. No more problems.
I go back after the appointment, and wait in line for a different receptionist this time. She says "oh yes", and then proceeds to tell me to have a seat and someone will be with me shortly.
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!