Sunday, April 23, 2006

Where is MUSIC LAB?

I'm still waiting for my response from the folks at XM satellite radio. I turned my unit on the other day and went to station 51. It read:OFF THE AIR. Hummm!?!? Maybe this means they are having problems. The next day it read the same thing. I went to the on-line site and MUSIC LAB is not even listed on the stations. It's a sad day for me.
I love the selections of stations on XM. There are a few that I find myself drawn to. It is the diversity and obscurity in music in these stations that I find myself drawn to. I mean, if I want to listen to the crap that is mainstream today, I'll put on the radio.
I'm progressive at heart. My main musical influences are in heavy rotation in the Prog-Rock circles. I still have my own collection. But it was still cool to turn to channel 51 and hear the entire SUPPERS READY by Genesis and then to some Zappa followed by Porcupine Tree. To me that is a great meal.
I guess The Mariah Carey listener's and the rappers are safe. It seems that this is the garbage that is eaten up daily by the insatiable appetite of the music morons'.
I'm curious what the reason is going to be when I get my response from XM. Whatever the reason, progressive rock and the art of musical improvisation will never die. There's always the Jazz channels.