Friday, September 01, 2006

Pacing the Cage

Haven't been on in a while. I heard an old familiar song last night that gave me goose bumps. It was "Pacing the Cage" by as much a musician as he is a poet BRUCE COCKBURN.

Pacing The Cage
Sunset is an angel weepingHolding out a bloody swordNo matter how I squint I cannotMake out what it's pointing towardSometimes you feel like you live too long Days drip slowly on the pageYou catch yourselfPacing the cage
I've proven who I am so many timesThe magnetic strip's worn thinAnd each time I was someone elseAnd every one was taken inPowers chatter in high placesStir up eddies in the dust of rageSet me to pacing the cage
I never knew what you all wantedSo I gave you everythingAll that I could pillageAll the spells that I could singIt's as if the thing were writtenIn the constitution of the ageSooner or later you'll wind upPacing the cage
Sometimes the best map will not guide you You can't see what's round the bendSometimes the road leads through dark places Sometimes the darkness is your friendToday these eyes scan bleached-out land For the coming of the outbound stagePacing the cage Pacing the cage.

On another musical note. I listened to New Orlean's very own DIRTY DOZEN BRASS BAND doing their take on MARVIN GAYE'S "What's Going On". Simply incredible. They take Gaye's criticism from the 70's and bring it freshness to the 21'st century. Amazing.